Friday, January 21, 2011

Lunch in Summertown

Today I walked down to Summertown for some grocery shopping.  Needed to buy 3 chickens for Sunday night dinner at Spencer House.  We'll be having group meals on Sunday night, with everyone contributing a dish.  This Sunday I volunteered to do Spicy Chicken, a Cajun recipe; others will bring salad, rice, veggies, desserts, wine and bread.  Should be a lot of fun.

Before doing any shopping, I decided to treat myself to lunch.  There are no fancy restaurants on Banbury Rd. in Summertown, but there are some nice ones.  I decided against the cafe inside Marks and Spencer -- I've eaten there twice; it's okay, but over-priced.  I wanted to eat at a sandwich shop called Taylor's, but it was packed.  So I wandered across the street to try out the Greek Taverna.  I should have suspected something.  It was 1:30 and the place was totally empty.

I went in and was seated by the lone waiter.  Ended up having Moussaka and a diet coke.  It was okay, but a little boring, and it was 10 pounds with a tip -- that's about $15 -- for a medium-sized bowl of food and a meager pita (no hummus, no salad, no nothing else).  Learned my lesson there.

While I was seated in the taverna, looking out the window onto Banbury Road, a funeral passed by.  There was a white hearse carriage with glass sides, pulled by two white horses wearing colorful plumes.  I didn't have my camera, so I don't have a photo to post, but there's a good one at http://www.carlton-carriages.co.uk/20733.html

White funeral carriages are used for children's funerals and for more informal funerals.  Michael Jackson's body was actually pulled in one of these kinds of hearses...

No comments:

Post a Comment