Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Hooked on British TV Food Shows


Well, now that I’m in Oxford, I’m settling into my routine, which involves a nightly dose of British TV.  I have to say these guys present some really interesting topics.  In the last week I’ve watched the history of the bathroom (starting with medieval public baths and toilets), the “Who Do You Think You Are” story of David Suchet (a.k.a. Hercule Poirot), an episode of my favorite detective series: “Midsomer Murders” (with the new Barnaby), and a documentary on the disappearance of the English Lawn (which included a history of lawn mowers). 

But, of course, being a foodie (love to cook--and eat!), the food programs draw me in the most.  I started out by watching Nigel Slater expound on the love Brits have for their biscuits – learned about all the various cookies from Garibaldis to HobNobs to Wagon Wheels (shown top to bottom):

      
   








                                              

                        


"Come Dine with Me" diners from the fishing town of Grimsby


Next, I got sucked into “Come Dine With Me,” where four or five people (strangers to one another) come together to entertain and cook a meal.  Each person cooks a  meal  one night and then the others score him/her.  The series, when shown as a  marathon,goes on for 4 or 5 hours.  One day I watched 5 hours worth in one sitting!  Very entertaining.  Diners are very critical -- and funny!



But my favorite program so far is “Britain’s Best Bakery.”  Every week three bakeries from a certain section of the country compete against each other.  One night there was an Oxford bakery, Gatineau, which is in nearby Summertown.  Sadly, they lost.  It’s an hour-long show, and I love seeing the unusual techniques and ingredients they use.  Some of the teams forage – they go out and find herbs or other ingredients along the roadside.  Tonight the winning team, from the Baker's Table in Wales, was new to the field of baking – one of them was formerly an archaeologist!  Anyway, they made a homey ginger and walnut cake, a bread that had pesto on top (kinda like a pizza) and a cream puff filled with apple custard and whipped cream.  All this makes me very hungry!


Tonight’s winning bakery:  The Baker’s Table

So, I think I’ll go heat up my left-over “Curry in a Hurry” – made from a recipe I saw on a Nigella Lawson show.  Quite good, actually!  Cheerio!



1 comment: