Saturday, March 26, 2011

Cowley Road


Today’s adventure was a trip to Cowley Road with Tim.  We left Spencer House, walking, at 11:30am and got to Cowley at 12:45.  Good exercise!

Cowley Road is a busy ethnic district in Oxford – kind of like its “Little Five Points.”  There is a lot of diversity in the people – more working class, blacks, Muslims (there are a few mosques along Cowley), etc.  The shops are more diverse than the usual Oxford offering – I even went in a few pound stores (like a dollar store).   And bunches of charity shops – lots of knick-knacks and clothes.
We ate lunch at a Turkish restaurant – but Tim and I both cheated – we got American-style food!  I had fried chicken, and he got a burger and fries.  The Turkish dishes looked good – especially the stuffed eggplant – but I was so hungry for fried chicken.  It was pretty good too!

Afterwards, we wandered back down Cowley, stopping at interesting shops.  I went in a Moroccan deli that smelled divine.  A woman shopping in the store was raving about some spicy Moroccan sausage, so I bought some.  Also couldn’t resist some dates and baklava. 

We also went in some charity shops – saw an interesting pansy bowl that I had a hard time resisting (but I did resist).  Also checked out a fair-trade shop that sells items from developing countries, made by people who are not being exploited. Then Tim and I both bought some interesting scarves at a vintage clothing store.

Magdalen College
After some ice-cream at George and Delilah’s, we headed back to the City Center, crossing the river (Cherwell) at Magdalen (pronounced Maudlin’) bridge, next to Magdalen College.  Saw people renting punts to go rowing on the river.  Although it was a nice day, in my opinion, it was still a bit to cool for punting.

Walked back to the bus stop at St. Giles, where I took the bus.  Tim headed to Regents Park College to see if anyone was around.  It was a very enjoyable day – not too cold and a bit of sun here and there – with a lot of walking!  A nice little nap was in order once I got home.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Callie,
    Looks like fun! What great photos.
    Hope your enjoying springtime 2011!

    ReplyDelete