Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Food for Thought



Today I started the day off with a lightish breakfast.  Light because there was no egg or sausage.  Of course it wasn't that light -- 2 slices of toast slathered with cream cheese and a little marmalade!

Lunched with fellow American librarian Susan, from Georgetown College in Kentucky.  We ate at Jamie Oliver's Italian Restaurant on George Street.  Tauted for its fresh, authentic food.  Not fussy -- no tablecloths; plastic chairs.  She had a giant hamburger and I had the duck ragu on reginette pasta.  I got the small lunch portion -- with a diet Coke.  All for 10.5 pounds (including the 10% tip).

In England, everything is ordered separately.  Occasionally a little salad might come on the side of the plate, but more frequently you have to order it.  Same for bread and all sides.  Susan's hamburger was about 5 inches high -- but it was all alone on the plate -- no french fries.  We both cleaned those plates -- the food was delish! 


Now it's almost time for dinner, and here's what I'm having:


I'll just have one.  It's in the AGA now, warming up.  Probably not as tasty as Jamie Oliver's ragu, but, hey, it was 2 slices for 1.31 pounds. Maybe a few ginger snaps for dessert.

So that's my food diary for today.  Okay, I ate some ginger snaps while I watched my 4 o'clock murder mystery (Midsommer Murders) on TV.  Not a weight-watcher's menu for the day -- but definitely more European than I eat in Columbus.  Let's see, Tuesday night, I might be having Country's Barbequed Chicken -- all your can eat!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment